Yamaha golf cars are classified by generations. Each generation had few changes during its lifetime, but each generation had many changes. The following are easily-identifiable markers from each generation:
- The G1 entire body flips backward to access the engine/battery compartment. The gas version used a 2-cycle engine.
- The G2/G9 has a lever inside the fuel/charge port to access the engine/battery compartment.
- The G3/G5 Sunclassic cars have a tempered glass windshield similar to a street car. The G3 gas has a 2-cycle engine, while the G5 has a 4-cycle engine.
- The G1, G2, G3, G5, G8, G9, G14, and G16 cars are 36 volt, while the G19, G22, and G29 cars are 48 volt.
The following are locations for serial numbers:
- G1 – The serial number is located near the driver side rear tire underneath the golf cart. This is best viewed from the back of the car.
- G2 – The serial number is located under the seat toward the front of the golf cart for the J55 and J56 models. The J56 model may also have a serial number located under the front bumper on the frame. The J38 and J41 models have the serial number near the driver side rear tire underneath the golf cart. This is best viewed from the back of the golf cart.
- G3 – The serial number is located near the passenger side rear tire underneath the golf cart. This is best viewed from the back of the car.
- G8 – The serial number is located under the passenger side seat toward the front of the golf cart.
- G9 – The serial number is located underneath the seat toward the front of the golf cart.
- G11 – The serial number is located underneath the seat toward the rear of the golf cart.
- G14 and G16 – The serial number is located underneath the driver side seat toward the front of the golf cart. The JN6 and JN8 models have a serial number inside the driver side glove compartment.
- G19, G20, G21, G22, G23, G27, and G28 – The serial number is located inside the driver side glove compartment.
- G29 YDR, YDR PTV, YTF1, and YTF2 – The serial number is located on the passenger side near the seat from 2007-2010. 2011-up the serial number is located underneath the seat toward the rear of the golf cart.
The following are a list of serial number prefixes:
|J10||G1 2-cycle Gas, 1979-1981||JG6||G9 Electric, 1991-1992|
|J14||G1 Electric, 1980-1981||JH7||G9 Electric, 1992-1995|
|J17||G1 2-cycle Gas, 1982||JJ3||G11 Gas Utility, 1993-1996|
|J22||G1 Electric, 1982||JN3||G14 Gas, 1995-1996|
|J24||G1 2-cycle Gas, 1983||JN4||G14 Electric, 1995-1996|
|J26||G1 Electric, 1983||JN6||G16 Gas, 1996-2002|
|J31||G1 2-cycle Gas, 1984-1989||JN8||G16 Electric, 1996-2002|
|J36||G1 Electric, 1984-1986||JR1||G19 Electric, 1996-2002|
|J38||G1 2-cycle Gas, 1985-1988||JR3||G11 Gas Utility, 1997-2001|
|J41||G2 Electric, 1985-1988||JR6||G21 Gas Utility, 2001-2004|
|J43||G3 2-cycle Sunclassic Gas, 1986||JR8||G20 Gas, 2000-2002|
|J46||G3 Sunclassic Electric, 1987||JU0||G22 G-MAX Gas, 2003-2007|
|J50||G5 Sunclassic Gas, 1990-1995||JU2||G22 G-MAX Electric, 2003-2007|
|J51||G5 Sunclassic Electric, 1990-1992||JU5||G23 U-MAX Gas Utility, 2004-2009|
|J55||G2 Gas, 1989-1991||JU6||G23 U-MAX Electric Utility, 2004-2010|
|J56||G2 Electric, 1989-1991||JU7||G27 U-MAX Gas Utility, 2004-2008|
|JA2||G2 Gas, 1988||JU8||G27 U-MAX Electric Utility, 2004-2008|
|JA3||G8 Gas, 1994-1995||JU9||G28 U-MAX Gas Utility, 2004-2009|
|JC0||G29 Drive YDRA Gas PTV, 2010-2015||JW1||G29 Drive YDR Gas, 2007-2010|
|JC1||G29 Drive YDRE Electric PTV, 2010-2015||JW2||G29 Drive YDR Electric, 2007-2010|
|JC2||G29 Drive YDR Fuel-Injected Gas, 2013-2015||JW3||YTF2 AC Adventurer Two Gas Utility, 2015|
|JE2||G2 Electric, 1988||JW6||YTF1 Adventurer One Gas Utility, 2009-2015|
|JF2||G8 Gas, 1990-1994||JW7||YTF2 Adventurer Two Gas Utility, 2010-2015|
|JF3||G8 Electric, 1990-1994||JW8||G29 Drive YDR Gas, 2011-2015|
|JG5||G9 Gas, 1991-1995||JW9||G29 Drive YDR Electric, 2011-2015|